1. IntroductionThe word quality is often used by those purchasing young trees from the nursery. The word is ill defined and can be ambiguous. Knowledge of nursery production systems, the reasons for and the outcomes of production processes are often poorly understood. This lack of knowledge results in specification documents produced to procure young trees often being poorly constructed and inadequate.
2. Young Trees
2. Young TreesIn this section you will find the advantages and disadvantages of the three principle production systems used by UK tree nurseries.
3. Tree Health
3. Tree HealthIn this section you will find information about young tree health and the detail which can be specified to ensure young trees from the nursery are 'fit for purpose' Both morphological and physiological characteristics are itemised.
4. Branch, stem and crown development
4. Branch, stem and crown developmentIrrespective of the production system used the techniques used on the tree nursery are consistent in stem and crown development. Outlined in this section are examples and explanations of good and not so good nursery practice coupled with items which can be specified to ensure young trees are 'fit for purpose'.
5. Root system development and management